Info for Depoe Bay and surrounding area residents:
DON’T BE IN THE DARK ABOUT BEING IN THE DARK!
Estimates suggest there could be hundreds of thousands of people in the Depoe Bay area for a few days before, during, and after the eclipse event; far more than our fair city can comfortably accommodate.There will be crowds at viewing sites, vehicles illegally parked, excessive water and power use, traffic halting on city streets and Highway 101.Internet, ATM, credit/debit card use, and cell phone access may be impacted for several days.
To reduce the impact on you and your property, we recommend you take the following steps early in the week prior to the event:
* Shop for extra food, water, pet food, household supplies, etc. Consider the purchase of sandwich makings and/or other quick-to-fix items which do not require electricity to prepare.
* Complete bill paying and banking; get extra CASH to have on hand.
* Fill gas tanks and gas cans. Consider purchase of propane for camp stoves, lanterns, etc.
* Fully charge cell phones, laptops, and power cells.
* Make “emergency” or “alternate” plans for travel to/from your place of business.
* Secure personal parking areas, properties and right-of-ways. Plan in advance to prevent vandalism to your property. Consider installing garbage can/s and/or doggy waste bags near public access areas of your property.
* Store and/or conserve water until event has concluded and population is back to normal.
* Complete other necessary personal tasks/appointments.
CHALLENGES THE CITY AND BUSINESSES MAY/WILL FACE INCLUDE:
* Ability of First Responders to reach medical emergency, fire, accident, and altercation scenes.
* Law enforcement capability.
* Port-a-potty availability, procurement, placement, maintenance.
* Trash removal.
* Water shortage.
* Power overload/outages.
* Restaurants and grocers running out of food.
* Gas stations running out of fuel.In the weeks to come, more local information will be posted on this site to update you on the location of port-a-potties, dumpsters, etc. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions will be posted. In the meantime, if you have questions, please feel free to contact the City of Depoe Bay at 541-765-2361, or the Depoe Bay Chamber of Commerce at 541-765-2889. City and Chamber staff will do their best to assist you.